How to Install New “Canless” Recessed Lighting Products
You’ve probably seen recessed lighting in your favorite home improvement show. Like their name suggests, rather than hanging from a fixture, recessed lighting nestles in the ceiling itself to provide softer and broader lighting than other fixtures can provide. Now with new canless recessed lights by Commercial Electric, it’s easier than ever to get in on the trend.
These energy-efficient LED lights are perfect for fitting recessed lighting into tight spaces. Each fixture is designed specifically for small spaces where height clearance is limited, such as beams or ductwork. And you can change the color temperature with a flick of a button. Commercial Electric’s Color Temperature Select Recessed Lighting Kits are also ENERGY STAR-certified so you can light up your space while saving energy.
These new canless designs also make installation easy. So, if you’ve wanted to get in on this trend, we’ll show you it’s done. These instructions are included with the product. To see a video demonstration, click here.
1. Turn off the power.
As always, ensure that the power has been turned off from your breaker box before you begin any work that deals with electricity.
2. Prepare the installation location.
Whether you’re installing recessed lights in new construction or remodeling a room, first plan your light placement. Then mark the planned locations before drilling or cutting any holes.
- Use the template provided with your light kit to draw the outline for each opening.
- Use a drywall saw to cut the opening marked by the template
3. Prepare the junction box.
- Open the junction box covers and remove the knockout hole covers from the side panel.
- Insert cable connectors (not included).
4. Connect the wires.
- Strip the electrical wire ends to expose the wire if necessary.
- Connect the wire ends into the Quick Connect openings.
- Match the color to the appropriate terminal:
Black to black, white to white, and ground (copper) wire to green.
5. Connect a series of lights.
- To connect to the next recessed light in series, take an appropriate amount of electrical cable that can reach the next recessed light.
- Then, connect the appropriate color ends to the remaining opening slot.
6. Close the junction box.
Once both electrical cables are connected, tuck the cables into the junction box and close it firmly.
7. Connect a series of junction boxes.
With the other end of the electrical cable, connect to the next junction box in series using the same process as in Step 4.
8. Complete the series.
- Continue adding recessed lights in series, or if it’s the last one needed, then simply leave one side connected and don’t remove the knockout hole cover from the other side.
- It is ok for there to be an empty slot in the Quick Connect terminal for the last recessed light in the daisy chain.
If you’re interested in Commercial Electric’s ENERGY STAR-certified recessed lighting, you can visit their page on HomeDepot.com. Whether you get them in a 4-pack or single, Commercial Electric’s recessed lighting will give you the lighting look you want in an easily-installed and eco-friendly package.